Kyeamba Creek Bridge – pt 4 - the unnamed creek
It was really great to get to the Wagga Wagga model train exhibition last weekend, seeing some great layouts, and even better to renew or make new contacts.
The Tumba Rail group had a stand, and their brilliant display of pictures on the Tumbarumba branch never fails to inspire. Mark Pottie (Tumba Rail) advises that he is planning a new booklet with more pictures of the branch to Tumbarumba, including the stockyard siding at Ladysmith. I also received valuable information, including a picture, and mudmap of the Humula sawmill. During the weekend, I had an unexpected visit to my home in Junee, by Peter Beyer (“Branching out NSWGR” blog). Peter gave me one of his shapeways printed toilet block for Tumbarumba. Fantastic detail. The model will still need to be finished, but I have a few projects to do first – one of them is the Kyeamba Creek Bridge
|All the piers are now attached. Only the longer ones are touching the wooden base. I have also added the tie plates to the bridge sleepers, in a similar fashion to my earlier effort on the Murrumbidgee River Bridge|
|The bridge, and the rail have not been secured - as it will be easier to detail the scenery under the bridge if the bridge isn't there|
As I indicated at the end of the last Blog, I had a lot of repetition on the Kyeamba Creek bridge. Well, I am happy to report that the bridge is now essentially complete – so it was time to move onto the unnamed creek crossing
The third span of the bridge over the unnamed creek was added to the existing 2 spans previously constructed almost 30 years ago. The extra span needed sleepers, but the original Ironbark Models provided only enough sleepers for 8 spans (6 spans worth of sleepers were used on the Kyeamba Creek bridge). I had thought that I would raid my supply of NE stripwood for the remaining sleepers, To my dismay, I didn’t have the right size in stock. Quick inexpensive solution – cut my own from a sheet of scrap basswood.
|The basswood sheet is sliced into sleeper width strips. Make sure your knife is extremely sharp, and use multiple passes, and not much pressure.|
|Once the strip had been cut to length, I compared my batch with the originals in the kit. Yes, mine will need to be weathered, but from a dimensional viewpoint, spot on|
The abutment construction starts with the attached support pier.
|The end abutment pier was previously constructed. The timber for the wings was still in the Ironbark models kit, and this was cut to shape using the templates supplied in the kit|
|The poles were glued to the wing wall timber at the appropriate spacing|
|The wooden poles were cut to shape. Note that the wing walls slope slightly inwards, which means shaping the bottom at a slight angle off the vertical|
|I made a base for the wall sections to attach to. The 3 sub-assemblies were glued together. Later I installed a reinforcing block of wood behind the end pier, and wing walls|
Now that the abutment was built, I used the 3 spans to determine where the abutment needed to be installed on the board. Note that the base of the abutment sits above the baseboard (and the creek level), so some extra tweaking of the benchwork support was done to maintain the correct height.
|New and old sleepers to go on the third span. I am getting happier matching my original weathering. I had not yet fitted the nut/bolt/washer castings to the wood beams in this picture|
|I used the deck of the 3 spans to position the end abutment. Both abutments are sitting on wood supports, above the wooden board. The newly made abutment is not finished, but the effect is there. The 2 intermediate piers are still to be built|
|Both bridges, but there is more work on the unnamed creek bridge, before it is ready for scenery. Length of the board is 1.2 metres, and this should be enough diorama for any future branchline train photography|
Once I complete the woodwork for the unnamed creek, I will start on the scenic work. Only then will I add the bridges, rail, and ballasting. This simple project is taking far longer than I would have originally hoped.
Until next time.