Tuesday 29 August 2023

Finding a train room (3), and have a beer

 Slow progress is better than no progress


Since my previous post, I am pleased to say that we have had some continued work on the conversion of the back half of my garage into a Train room.

A recent acquisition to my achive of useful pictures was this one of Ladysmith, showing the silo complex in the background, with the stock yards.  Thanks Pete N for the image.  These two "industries" shared the same loop siding.  Fitting in the stockyards into my trackplan would be nice, and it will depend on how much space I can acquire in the setup of the kitchenette of the train room.

My earlier post on the train room

https://buildingwagga.blogspot.com/2023/06/finding-train-room-2.html


Framing continues



The framing as seen in the previous post had been sheeted with Yellow tongue board.  The bottom panel is screwed, rather than glued in case of unexpected water damage.

The doorway into the rest of the garage

Framing and sarking for the northern wall.  The brick pillar requires the framing to be done in panels, built to fit

Brett's saw bench, and the temporary lighting.  The lighting batten was one I saved from the main house refurbishment 9 years ago, and attached to the yellow tongue boards with screws.  The yellow tongue is suitable for this sort of ad-hoc attachments, and will be able to support the upper shelf of the layout with little other support

Continuing along the North wall to the corner, framing for the window

The eastern wall also has a window that needs to be framed.  This area is for the small kitchette, that will be an "L" shape, with the sink positioned below the RHS of the window.  How far the bench will continue will determine how much space I have for the Ladysmith silo siding.  If the helix is parallel to the LHS brick pier, then I have just enough space for the silo, and not the stock loading yard. 

The framing on the southern wall, near the internal garage door

Plumbing and electrics.

With the framing progressing, it is time for the plumbing to be considered.  The kitchenette wall is sized to be wide enough to fit the fiber glass shower purchased around 6 years ago.  Once the pipework is in place, then the framing of the ensuite can proceed.  Hot water would be a small hot water heater located under the kitchenette bench, rather than something more complex.  I will just have to remember to turn it on as required

Unfortunately, after the initial visit from the plumber, he came down with a bad case of Covid, and framing cannot be completed until the shower is permanently positioned.  

I had also contacted my friendly electrician.  He advised that once framing is completed, he would be able to fit out the electrics.  As the electrics for the ensuite will be on the framing of the wall that is awaiting on the shower - this is also delayed.  

The only advantage of delays, is that it gives my bank account balance a chance to recover, and I can think of things that is needed - such as a Tastic for the ensuite.


I am expecting another delivery today - the two doors (one of them is a sliding door), and the insulation


Have a beer.  Bonus Pictures.

During the last week, I had a phone call from Les, who was looking for assistance in finding a home for some memorabillia of Camden he had.  And contacted me, as I might have an email address for the author of a blog my blog links to.  Well, having assisted Les, he sent me a picture taken of  beer unloading at the Wagga Wagga railyards.

Unloading cartons of beer from an LLV onto a truck.  This picture would make a brilliant mini scene diorama

The picture looked similar to one I had previously

Beer carton unloading.  

Well, both pictures are different - my picture was later in the unloading process, but it is the same truck, as the distorted beer cartons are the same in both pictures.

Transportation of beer by rail is a common theme, and possibly not very well researched

Beer kegs was another load.  This one shows the PE Power shed, and the Wagga Wagga goods shed in the background in the 1960s.  These kegs are empty, and waiting for an open wagon to be positioned on the rear "team track" to borrow a USA expression

In 1971, Tooths built a new depot, and a siding off the branchline to Tumbarumba.  This siding  was provided for the shipping of Beer.  I am planning to include this siding on my layout, even though it is just post 1970 (my timeframe for the layout).  Never let a chance go by to include operational opportunities


Summary.

Whilst delays in the room fit-out are frustrating, it doesn't mean that no progress can be made.  The picture from Les was unexpected, and most welcome to blow away the cobwebs.   And I have also made a start on construction of the Wagga Station Master Residence, but you will have to wait for a future blog post.

Until next time, construct a model or two.



3 comments:

  1. Been almost a week. Surprised no-one commented that the truck pictured did not have door, and without seatbelts for the driver, it would never have passed road inspection. Ah for simplier times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even noticed... even on the second read through!

      Delete
  2. I think everyone was looking at the beer Rob ;-)

    Obvious once you 'see' it.

    Ray P

    ReplyDelete