Thursday 20 July 2017

Ladysmith Station Building (2)

Fitting the front station awnings was the next task for the station building.  The supports were fitted more or less in the locations on Greg Edwards A4 station plan.  Important to make sure that they are aligned so as to not have any gaps underneath the awning.


I tend to use track cleaning rubbers for purposes they were never intended, like weights, and props for photography


Once the awning is installed, facia boards cut and positioned, the chimneys were assembled, and fitted.  I painted the roof  with Floquil "Bright Silver"

\
And my experiment with having part of the roof removable was successful.  The next challenge was the water tanks, guttering and downpipes.  The kit provides nothing, so I was on my own  My pictures taken in the early 1980s show one water tank, with "shelter", and one end without a tank






 The guttering was interesting.  I had some styrene 1.5mm "U" channel, which I butchered to make an "L" channel.  Painted with "Roof Brown".  After some false starts, I was able to get the guttering to adhere to the facia board using microscale metal foil adhesive, and then reinforce the joint with 2 part 5 minute epoxy.  The guttering  has proved  strong enough with the handling.for the next stages.


I made up a water tank, and platform, using the Greg Edwards plan.  I loosely positioned this to the end of the station, to assist me in the location of the downpipes



The downpipes (or spouting) had some interesting bends, and is quite awkward.  I use solder to act as a template, whilst I fit, cut and bend to shape.



When I was happy with the shape, I transferred it to some brass rod, of approximately the right diameter.  I secured the brass to the building with very fine wire, twisted to create a "pin" and fitted into a hole drilled in the wall.  Repeat for the other end, and then paint



Complete assembly of the stands, and water tanks.  The tanks are made up of a long aluminium corrugated iron made using Brunel's tool.  You will find it curves gently.  Once a roll has been made, it can be tightened without creasing, and the extra thickness adds to the strength.  Cut a lid, and glue.  The angled boards are made from thin card, scribed, and cut.  White glue and stripwood.  Yes, it is very fiddly




It certainly looks the part when attached.  Note the Ladies toilet window - if I had left the window in the original kit location, this pleasing result would have been impossible..  Repeat for the other end, and fit the corrugated iron "lid"




I have started wioth some fine detailing.  The Ladysmith station building sign was made by printing a sign, and attaching it to a styrene backing.  However, there is still much ro be done.  The tanks need some taps, the "Ladies", "Waiting room", and "Staionmaster" signs to me made, the chimney pots, and the Ladies Toilet vent for the roof.  And weathering.  The piers underneath the astation will have to wait until the platform is made


Should I have not bought the kit, and just reverted  to scratchbuilding the lot?  Maybe.  Having to rectify kit errors was a significant time waster, and some compromises with the roof pitch, and station master door I am just going to have to live with.  But, the kit is solid, and as I hope I have shown, can be super detailed.    Anyway, no time to ponder, there are more structures awaiting.

Happy modelling.  Rob




















No comments:

Post a Comment