Monday 5 June 2023

Solving the HO housing crisis? Scratchbuilding the Docker Street Gatekeeper cottage

 HO model of the Docker Street gatekeeper cottage


Making models out of styrene is an aspect of the hobby I am finding quite satisfying.  Not having a kit, or even plans just adds to the challenge.  And selection of prototype specific structures, firmly sets the location for the model.


My picture of the cottage taken in 1997, just after the headshunt track (for the gasworks siding) had been removed

There are no kits for this design of cottage, but the high peaked roof is indicative of the gothic style used by Whitton for other stations made in the 1880s during the railway's rapid expansion in NSW.  This cottage, and the now demolished cottage at Urana Street had the same basic design, although each got unique additions.

I have more prototype pictures on an earlier blog post

https://buildingwagga.blogspot.com/2022/07/docker-street-gatekeeper-cottage.html

Plans


Plans were made from photos, and certain aspects of other buildings I did have plans for. Note, I corrected an error in the roof above from the plans I posted earlier.

Making the cottage out of styrene

The first stage is the tedious step, and takes a good number of hours - cutting out.  I use .040 thou Evergreen brand styrene, which is a compromise with strength, and ease of cutting.

All main walls. Note the fibro annex off the rear (northern wall) is not shown, nor is there any window or door on the northern wall.


The slots in the walls are made by chain drilling, and then cutting out with a sharp hobbyknife.  Working from left to right - mark the area with soft pencil; drill a series of holes; cleanup with a knife


Basic assembly, on a base of 0.040 styrene, with cutouts to enable access to the interior after the roof goes on





The roof is the most complex part of the build. Carefully take measurements from the plan, and cuts need to be made on my dwinding supply of evergreen corrugated styrene.  Even so, I did get a few gaps, as can be seen in the above picture.  I filled these with plastic putty.  Re-inforcement of the valleys between the 4 gables was more trial and error

Whilst nowhere as complex as Wagga Station, I still have more things to learn.  The valleys between the roof gables should include a channel, and my roof method doesn't make provisions for it.  Perhaps filling the valleys with leaves may hide things later?


Front veranda awning, and slot for the chimney

Fibro Annex added - it is loose, as I have made some provision for dropping this lower than the main structure which is something that the prototype did




Facias, roof capping, chimney, veranda posts, trim, guttering, and downpipes finish the basic building - now awaiting paint.  I covered my chimney construction, roof capping, and downpipe methods in earlier blog posts.


The lower wall of the fibro annex can be seen in this picture.  It can be positioned lower



I used the same heritage colour that was on the blockwork of Wagga station, rather than the harsh white of my prototype picture.  Why? It seemed right to tie the two models together, and I already had the paint (a Taubmanns "Bamboo Cane" Sample Pot from Bunnings).  This paint was starting to go off, and I had to strain out some lumps, before thinning for the spraying.  

At this point (about 3 weeks ago), my steady progress stopped, and I didn't get back to the workbench to work on the model for 2 weeks.  

A very rough masking of the walls for the Tamiya flat green, and spray paint.  Some parts of the roof didn't quite get the coverage, and were touched up with a brush.  Similar brushwork on the veranda awning.  Tamiya white on the facias, and Tamiya Aluminium for the guttering

Windows were drawn and painted on clear styrene with a bow pen for the mullions, and brush for the edges.  When dry, these would be cut for each window opening

Weathering with pastel rust powder changed the colour of the roof to be closer to the olive of the protoype roof in my 1997 colour picture.  But, I probably overdid it a bit.





After fitting the windows, and doors, the model is now essentially complete.  There is always more that could be done (such as switch boards, and outside toilet block), and I will wait final placement on the layout. I could also fit an interior, as the cottage is to be placed on the asile side of the tracks

 This cottage will not win any awards, as the painted windows lack the 3D effect.  This was a compromise for speed, over fidelity.

Conclusion

Setting a specific location for a layout is a two edge sword.  Selection of scenery, buildings, and other prototype features is a simple matter of just observation, has been done for you.  However, the downside can be a challenge; locating photos of now disappeared structures and then making plans if none exist increases the sense of satisfaction upon completion.

(I am sorry for the delay in posting - but I didn't want to finish this post with yet another unfinished building)

Until next time


4 comments:

  1. A lovely bit of work Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another historical masterpiece in miniature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe not a masterpiece, but it is reasonably accurate model of a destinctive railway building from the 1880s. The cottage was modernised around 25 years ago, and a picture article appeared in one of the home and garden magazines, which I stored somewhere, and now cannot find.

    ReplyDelete