Tuesday 3 January 2023

Wagga Wagga station. I've done with the details

 

Wagga Wagga Station Platform – finishing off.

Welcome to 2023.  To celebrate the occasion, I am calling the Wagga Wagga station model “finished”.

Wagga Wagga station in 1994 - picture by John Morrison



As I hinted on my earlier Blog post, there is a sweet spot where enough detailing  is sufficient, and further detailing is a trade-off between time taken, and improvement to the overall scene.  My aim on constructing the station building was to challenge, and improve my own skills, maybe earn a merit status in the NMRA structure category, but mainly as a center piece for the future layout.

I am getting ahead of myself.  In the last month, some further details were made, and installed.

Downpipes

I have simplified the number installed.

Downpipes made from round styrene rod, cut and glued as appropriate.  Some have been painted in silver, others in the cream colour used for the station details

These downpipes were generally affixed to the station using tacky white glue, which allows for subtle repositioning on the station

 

Lamps

At the front of the station façade, there were three old style lamps mounted above the windows.  I was hoping that I would be able to locate lamps of the correct style and size on the internet, but I was unsuccessful.  So, the option was to make them.



Cut out 4 panes of clear styrene, and glue them to a 0.040 scrap of styrene.  The glue tends top run everywhere, so the clear panes now have turned cloudy

Cut out, and shape the 0.040 sytrene.  Add a piece of round rod for the top, and a 0.020 piece of styrene at the base.

Superglue a piece of brass wire to the base, and then paint - leaving the clear (now very cloudy) styrene unpainted

Drill a small hole for the brass wire, and insert the lamp. Glue as needed

My lamps are slightly bigger than scale, however, don’t look too bad from normal viewing distances.  My fabrication method is not the only way to make the lamps.  People with a resin 3D printer, and ability to render the lamp in software, would have produced a better model.  In fact, if such a model became available, I have a simple replacement option.  And for bonus points, if the resin lamp, was cast in clear resin in an RTV mold, with an SMD LED lamp, and wires, the lamp could be lit.

Signs

NSWGR fitted signs to their stations, to aid passengers to what doors belonged to what rooms. 

This 1980 Intercapital Daylight picture by Stephen Kaiser shows the 'LADIES' sign just under the awning, above the loco horns.

Nothing like having a real sign to measure



Whilst ‘PARCEL’ is not something useful for identifying my future train room, the cast metal letters were exactly 3” high.

I created a word document with the appropriate signs, and changed the size.  When printed, I could select the print that matched HO scale


RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

Calibri (body).   Point    This size scales almost correctly for HO station signage

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

Calibri (body).  4 point

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MENS    PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MENS     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MENS     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MENS     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS

RAILWAY  MUSEUM          STATION MASTER       TELEGRAPH OFFICE    WAITING ROOM     LADIES     MEN     PARCELS


I made the hardware from styrene strip, and then simply cut the signs from the paper, and glued them to the styrene,  Followed by paint.  They don't look professional, but quite small, I think I will get away with it. 

Fitting these under the platform awning was tricky using tweezers and good magnification, and lighting.  The glue I used was tacky white glue. 

Car Park

Many years ago, car parking in front of the station was angled parking, with a taxi pickup/dropdown close to the front entrance

My method  to simulate this is to draw angled line markings on the road surface.  The easiest way is as shown.

 

Set square, and white pencil.  I marked a spot on the set square for the line length.  Using the curbside gutter, the process is close to foolproof 

Seats, People, and luggage carts

I needed some seated people for the seats previously painted.  I had a selection of ebay purchased seated passengers, but these were hopeless.  I did have a box of unpainted Preisser seated figures, and much better.  Painting –a process taking a few days, waiting for paint colours to dry.  My main issue is that I have hopeless colour sense for clothing

Standing passengers came from the Westedge 3D preprinted range, purchased at the Goulburn N scale convention.

Luggage carts were etched brass - courtesy of Ross Balderson’s artwork on the Wagga station awning fret to fill up spare space.  Folded, and painted – they are in need of luggage.

Pictures

I was not going to take photos in the sunlight, so I opted for the shade of my garage eves.  Even then, the temperature in the shade was around 35C.  I placed a blue whispy cloud backscene on a table, and positioned the station crudely for pictures for this Blogpost.  The images have been cropped with photoshop, and do lack the brilliance that better lighting could provide.


Westedge 3D figures, and some Road Rager australian cars add to the ambience. This is the view the operators of the future layout will have of the Wagga station.  I am however, considering a CCTV camera so as to view the other side



An Auscision 422, and a set of three Austrains BS/FS carriages is an indication of how much longer the platform needs to be to fit an 8 car RUB set 


On the platform side, seats, standing and seated people add life to the station 

Look closely to see that I installed the station master sign upside down.  The camera picks up any faults, and is an essential tool in your modelling kit.  Fortunately, back on the workbench, the tacky glue allowed the sign to be repositoned correctly




Conclusion.

Constructing the Wagga Wagga station  has been a marathon - 2 and a half years since starting  in September, 2020.  The process has been generally enjoyable, and I now have better skills that can be used for future scratch building projects.  The station model could be further improved, with an interior, more clutter on the roof,  weathering, more signage, litter bins, lighting, fences, palm tree and grass, and of course, extended platform for at least a 6 car train.   If I was starting afresh, knowing now where I struggled, I would invest time in learning how to model using a 3D printer.  Many of the architectural features of the station are duplicated, and could have been easily printed in quantity, with consistency that I struggled with.

 

Anyway, it is time for a new challenge

Until next time, build a model or three.

9 comments:

  1. Rob, congratulations on your magnificent build. A hard challenge but one you have mastered. It will look great on the layout. I know what it is like to have a project going on but we eventually get there.
    regards
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Agree, finishing this project gaves me a great sense of satisfaction - equal or exceeding the effort put into it. When I started the series on making the Wagga station, I said how do you eat an elephant? Ans: one mouthful at a time. Well the elephant is no more. Now I have the whale....i.e the train room and the layout. However, in the meantime, I hope to finish a few other smaller tasks/builds prior to starting a new build. Can I make that interesting for the people reading my blog? That is a challenge.

      Delete
  2. Looking good Rob. I'm returning back to Canberra for work later this month and will be visiting my family in Wagga regularly. I'd like to come and have a look on one of these visits if possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert. That would be OK. Give me a call 045 018 7989

      Delete
  3. A fabulous build. Well done and thank you for sharing the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you Rob, and well done on completing Wagga. It's a fabulous result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome model, great detail. Will really make the layout look something.
    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always felt that you establish the location of a layout by a few readily identifyable structures. I only hope that my standards don't now slip. Thanks Arthur for your endorsement. The challenge will be to now get the railway built - first comes the room. My recent HiPages request for assistance resulted in zero replies

      Delete