Monday 10 April 2023

Rockview derailment - cleanup

 Cleaning up after the Rockville derailment.

On 8th March 2023, an SSR grain train collided with a haulage truck on the Canola Way level crossing at the former Rockview station, between Old Junee, and Marrar on the branch Junee to Narrandera.   

I have heard that the train was in full emergency braking, but still running at 63km/hr when collided with the truck.  Press reports from SSR are estimating the repair costs to be around $16 million 

 This blogpost deals with the cleanup; my pictures of wrecked train on my last Blogpost (that blogpost should appear at the end of this one)

I attended on March 24, 16 days after the incident.  Quite a number of grain wagons had been extracted, as well as G514, and 4910.  CLF1 (the lead engine) was still on its side, and CLF4 had been re-righted


The grain wagons were already on flatbed semi trailers



Two semis about to depart in convoy for the SSR workshops in Bendigo

The lead semi-trailer stopped at the collision site - level crossing at Rockview, before continuing.  Its convey partner is behind.  Note the simple nature of the level crossing protection, just a crossing sign, and a stop sign


CLF4 framed by the trees, and cranes.

Pete Neve sent me some extra pictures from a few days after my visit.  Used with permission

Trackwork restoration started

CLF4 has been left on site, as it wasn't owned by SSR.  I understand it is to be returned to Goulburn for assessment and hopefully repairs.  The CLF4 number boards are missing from my shots 15th March

CLF4 has been placed on concrete blocks without bogies.  This is the side that was on the ground, and from this distance, appears to just have minor panel damage.  But what damage inside with engine blocks, and other equipment? -> your guess.




A refugee from the original derailment was placed on the silo loop at Old Junee.  The reason for that was that the locos assigned to recover the 30 or so grain cars from the derailed train that were still on the track, was too light for the full train, and so left one wagon.  Made an interesting study subject.



Videos of the G514, and CLF1 arriving at Bendigo are on Brad White's Greensleeves youtube channel.  Well worth finding, and viewing. 

I had intended to include these pictures at the end of my photo coverage of the 15th Narrow Gauge convention, that I attended over easter in Melbourne.  However I made a decision on driving home, to get the derailment story out of the way as a stand-alone.  I know the derailment has very little to do with my blog focus, but it does take up time that I can't use for building models, and I trust the coverage will be of interest.  And, it forms a record, which might be helpful for anyone researching in the future.

====
Next blog will be my attendance at the 15th Narrow Gauge convention.  Hopefully in the next few days.  Until then

No comments:

Post a Comment