It is really encouraging to have reached this stage on the Bethungra layout.
|Another picture of the LRV tour train in 1997 - about to enter tunnel #1. Again, my slide conversion to digital is rather amateurish. Things to note is the distant hills.|
For the last 10 years, I have been storing, transporting, and storing again, four 1800 x 915 x 3mm MDF sheets that were given to me. I always thought they would be good for backscenes, so it was great to finally use them. These sheets had been previously used. There was evidence of timber framing, holes, and all sheets had paint on one side.
I cut one of the sheets down the middle, and had 3.6 metres of backboards. Unfortunately, 3.6 mtrs was slightly short, so another sheet was cut, yielding an additional 1.2 mtrs.
These sheets were attached to the timber framing using clamps, and then drilled, and screwed in the normal manner. I tried to reuse many of the preexisting holes. Each hole that was used was marked with a texta, as the backscene will need to be removed at least twice more for painting.
The long side needed two sheets, and my joining method may be unusual.
|Clamps and really strong magnets were used to hold the joining piece to the backscene, whilst the white glue dried. These magnets came out of old mainframe disc drives, and are seriously powerful.|
|The other side of the backscene showing the steel plates held in place with the magnets. The unpainted section of backscene is a legacy of the MDF's previous life as a wardrobe door.|
The Junee Broadway Museum had supplied me with 2 types of trees.
One type included some previous scenery material, so I assume it was part of the original layout. These had been made from twisted wire, coated with possibly Selleys "no-more gaps", painted, and foam added.
The other tree type was appeared to be hand made in China. There were over 100, and all sized at 3.5cm, or smaller. The green foam used was too green, and distracting. I have found similar on ebay for around $25 delivered.
|A selection of passable gum trees, supplied by the museum. Their height varies, but 7-9cm was typical|
|The other trees - suspect these were made in China. Height nominal 3.5cm|
The polystyrene foam base they were on would not survive air brushing with floquil, as may of the trees were not firmly planted, and the polystyrene would dissolve under the floquil solvents. So I found an alternative plastic foam, and planted them in two lots.
|The chinese trees - one batch painted, the other as supplied.|
My enthusiasm is returning. This layout has taken far too long to construct, but the end is now in sight.
Stay safe out there.