Adding the track.
Welcome to 2019. To celebrate, it was time to get the track down across the Kyeamba Creek Bridges.
After adding more foam scenery, I repositioned the bridges, and made some minor adjustments to get them sitting right. This was not helped by the 6 span trestle getting a minor longitudinal twist. I removed the rails from the plastic sleepers on 2 sections of flextrack, and painted the rail sides with roof brown. After drying, the sleeper base was added, leaving gaps where the bridges were.
I had 2 options for attaching the rail to the bridge. The first was spiking, the second was glueing. Call me lazy, but glueing was selected. The main running rails were glued to the paper sleeper or tie plates with 6 minute 2 part epoxy. This glue was smeared to the underside of each rail, and then positioned on the bridge. Note that it important to get the rail straight, and to have the rails at the correct gauge. Please note the picture which shows peco plastic sleepers being used to hold the rail gauge. Yes, the head of the rail can be clicked into the plastic sleepers gap, and holds on nicely. Had I been using a finer rail, then I am not sure that this method would work. Code 100 is very forgiving, and my experience with exhibition layouts, says that reliability starts with good trackwork
|Rail being added to the unnamed creek bridge. Note the Peco track sleeper base, being used upside down, to hold the correct track gauge, To ease installation, the rail was added to each bridge separately|
Once the glue had set, the plastic sleeper base was secured to the diorama with pins. The railhead was then cleaned of any surplus paint using a masonite pad. I try and avoid using abrasive track cleaners, like peco or bright-boy, if other less destructive methods work.
Check rails also painted prior to installation. I am not sure if using tacky glue will hold these in position, but because they are not installed on the tie plates, their rail head is lower, allowing future cleaning of the running rails to not also clean the check rails. I didn’t add check rails to the unnamed creek bridge, as I had no photographic evidence that they were on the prototype.
Ballasting followed. Secured with white-glue/water/alcohol mixture, and allowed to dry. Securing track pins then removed.
|Checkrails added to the Kyeamba Creek trestle. The creek "water" has been covered with a layer of gloss medium, and this gives good reflections. I am not sure if I will do a 2 part epoxy clear water mix to give more depth.|
|No checkrails for the unnamed creek trestle.|
Well, this finishes the bridge diorama until installation on the layout. The idea of fitting trees, and bushes, whilst the diorama is stored on edge is a recipe for a mess. I am sure there will be additional tweaks to cover gaps, and touch-ups to raw “plaster” showing. Thank you all my readers, and followers for your comments, and encouragement, on what has been a long project.
Time to start something new. Until then, happy modelling.
|An empty stock train heads over Kyeamba Creek towards Ladysmith|
|I will be hiding the distortion in the creek bank with a blackberry bush,|
|The best of this group of images.|