As I had previously made a cardboard mockup for the roof, I felt confident that I could cut out the corrugated styrene using the same measurements. The styrene I used was only recently acquired from “All Aboard” at Mittagong, as it came in a fairly large sheet, 30cm x 80 cm – the width of 30cm is just wide enough to cover the full width of the station roof, without needing to join. Fairly expensive, so I didn’t want to muck it up.
|The triangle sections cut from the main roof, make up the parts for the end roof sections|
I also cut some roof trusses from 0.040 thou styrene. To cut a long story short, there were some adjustments and chamfering to get the roof assembled to it would fit the roof without falling over the edges, or leaving too much of a gap. All of the trusses have been reinforced.
|Checking the roof for size. Thankfully, it fitted|
An evergreen strip 0.010 x 0.100 for the fascia board was painted, and fitted to the edge of the eves. The guttering was next.
Chimneys. I studied my photographs, and drew up a rough diagram showing the size and height – based on counting bricks. Using the discarded brick styrene from the window and door cutout, I fabricated a set of chimneys. Each chimney has 24 pieces of plastic, each piece cut and shaped to size – not a task for the impatient.
Holes were carefully cut into the roof, and the chimneys dry fitted.
Once completed, the chimneys were then brush painted in the brick colour. I also painted the roof corrugated iron "tamiya aluminium"
The doors and window openings on the station were all cut and shaped by hand, and unfortunately, variations happened with things that should have been identical. This meant some bespoke work – particularly on the doors with the crownlights.
The first one took around 2 hours, but I had settled on a technique, and the others were faster. By the time I got to the simple windows, I had the time down to around 10 minutes each
Some weathering on the roof, and chimneys, dry fit the roof to the building, and time to beat the weather, to catch some last minute sunlight for picture taking.
Well that is it for now. The guttering, plumbing, and lead flashing will have to wait. And I have not yet given up on fitting an interior, or lighting. The next structure for the station should be the Lamp room/gents toilet – followed by the signal box that disappeared after 1983.
I hope you managed to get to the Rosehill Gardens exhibition last weekend - it was a good one. I was lucky enough to share a car on Monday for the long day trip from Junee. The bonus was that I also acquired some more models for the layout, including the elevated water tank from Mechanical Branch Models, which I need for Borambola And it was also good to catch up with the traders who make this great hobby great.
The layouts were most inspirational too - if you didn't get to the exhibition, do yourself a favour, and , check it out on youtube.